Friday, January 16, 2009

First week of school!

In continuation of my last post, pizza hut wasn't all its cracked up to be. First of all ...when you call for delivery, the phone answerer only speaks Cantonese. Then they try to offer you all of these crazy deals. We ended up getting a large pepperoni (with little cheese, but I guess I am in HK), and a large ...seafood pizza?? It had lobster, chicken, mushroom, cheese, and Thousand Island dressing as the sauce. I don't know about you guys, but I like dressing on my salad, unless its ranch of course.

Monday - first day of classes - First I had Problem Solving for Business Information Systems, and as far as I could tell, no one I knew was taking that course. Finally find the classroom in the ONE ACADEMIC building on campus (very small compared to IU), and the door is locked. So I start panicking, I'm 10 minutes early...class couldn't have started early. Well it turned out to be the previous class wasn't finished, and didn't finish until 5 minutes into our class time. I walk in and turn out to be the only exchange student in a class full of Cantonese chatterboxes. Oh well, IS class is over with, onto the tutorial for Transportation Logistics. I walk in and see 10 familiar Western faces, what a relief. Our professor, who is actually attaining his PHD right now, talked and talked, and made some not-so-funny jokes, but class flew by. Next was lecture for Transportation Logistics. I have never met anyone who could speak English so fast in my life. Seems like an okay class though, we watched UPS ads the whole time. Finally, one day down, 2 to go!

Tuesday - wakeup super early (okay...8:20, early enough for me) for my Intro to Work Behavior course. That 3 hour class flew by, the teacher was extremely passionate about his subject. After that I went to Crimonology. I was so excited to see familiar faces in that class as well, considering that was not a business class and the majority of my peers are business majors. Four classes down and 1 to go.

Wednesday - Woke up to have breakfast with my friends and was looking forward to delicious french toast. Well apparently french toast is not a breakfast item in HK and you aren't allowed to order it until after 11, that was disappointing. Time for my final class of the week....off to Chinese Civilization II (in English of course). The professor was very passionate about this subject and I'm super excited to learn about Chinese History.

And we are done with classes for the week. I know it may seem like a short schedule, but 6 hours in a row Monday, 6 hours in a row Tuesday, and 2 hours Wednesday is NOT THAT SHORT. The rest of Wednesday I did some grocery shopping and went out for sushi (my first time in HK). I've never had better sushi.....anywhere. It was sooooo delicious and fresh. I did of course stick to my usual California Roll, and Spider Roll (of course called fried soft-crab roll, but it was easy to find). Later that night we went out to Lan Kwai Fong to a club and had a great time.

Thursday I took the time to get all of my classes in order and clean up around my room a little bit..(I'll post pictures of that next week). I got a little sick and at some point between Wednesday and Thursday I lost my voice....and developed a horrible cough, but those are the only symptoms...in case any of you were worried. I'm totally feeling fine, minus this annoying cough that kept me up for 2 hours the other night...oh well!! What else on Thursday ...I went to sushi again, and tried 3 handrolls for the first time and fell in love. It's like eating an ice cream cone full of sushi. I tried salmon sushi...the real kind, not a roll, and fell in love. The salmon is sooooo fresh!!! Anyways I took it easy Thursday night because the other option was to go out and eat snake, drink snake wine, and drink snake blood. I thought I would save that for later on in my trip.

Friday, finished getting my books (sooooo cheap compared to the US) and was invited to travel to Lantau Island with some Europeans. Our trip with 6 people turned into a group expedition filled with about 16 exchange students. We took the MTR to Lantau Island and took the cable cars up to BIG BUDDHA, and he is big (especially his ears). Anyways it was a really neat experience and we thought we were totally seeing a part of history until we found out that we are like living monuments compared to big Buddha (he was built in 1993, therefore that makes me an ancient living monument). We walked around the other landmarks and took the Wisdom Path (I hope I gained at least a little knowledge), and saw a monestary. It was definitely a neat experience. For those who had more time on their hands, they chose to walk down the mountain - until they found out it was a 4 hour HIKE and ended up busing down instead. We however took the tram back down.

CHECK OUT MY PICS OF BIG BUDDHA....:) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2560635&l=bedb3&id=6844049

We went to Thai for dinner in Mong Kok after our excursion to the island. In case you didn't know, Americans are like the only people who eat Pad Thai (or at least call it that, everywhere else it is named some form of fried rice noodles). So I ordered fried rice noodle fried seafood, thinking I would get some fried shrimp (similar to maybe tempura)...WRONG. I got a plate full of pad thai with some octopus, shrimp, something we couldn't figure out, and a clam/oyster insides or somethin...but the noodles were really good. :)

Well its 1 am Saturday morning and between dinner and now, I have made plans for Chinese New Years to travel to Thailand with about 15 + other American exchange students and will keep you updated on that. For now, I've got to go to sleep because tomorrow (I guess in 9 hours) I will be going on a cultural tour of Hong Kong and then off to Macau for a night of fun and gambling!

No comments:

Post a Comment